Monday 24 October 2016

A shaped card tutorial with Linda Wallace

Hi all

As promised I am here with another fab tutorial from our Linda. This time it is a shaped card using my Sunflowers and Stars digi kit and Craft Artist 2 professional (Don't forget you can still use my kits and create this project with the FREE version of Craft Artist Compact see the side bar of my blog for the tutorial No CAP ... No problemo!)


Isn't it fab! And I learnt something new .... how to make that candle come alive ... brilliant! ... over to Linda .....

The Sunflowers and Stars card was made on an A5 tent fold template within the page set up of Craft Artist. (The front of the card on the front section and the back on the back section ignore the insert layer.)



Instead of using a background on the front of the card use a material as it’s easier to cut down to size, I decided on a material that looked like wood as I wanted to make a table. I then decided that I wanted the books to be at the back of the arrangement on the table, because they had height. Different embellishments were added in the foreground including an envelope frame to which I added a photograph of my Great Grandfather.

 
The second envelope, the sunflower, buttons, star, tile and the sunflower art work have all been manipulated with the angles in the Transform tool to make them look as if they have been placed on the table, this is trial and error with the settings, as each object is different.

 
I then used the chair to stand behind the table to give perspective, I mirrored it, (arrange and flip horizontally) as I needed it facing the other way. (At this point if you wanted to make a tent card instead of a shaped card you could drop a background into the background layer for the walls)

 
I wanted the candle to be the focal point of the card, so I had to light it up. This was achieved in the Filter Effects (while the object you want to apply the effect to is selected click the right button on your mouse to get the pop out menu and select Filter FX)

 

From the list tick outer glow and give it an Outer glow of 75%, blur 56.9, intensity 13 using the sliders to change the numbers and then click the black arrow next to colour to get the colour palette to drop down and select the colour white.

 
Everything on the front scene was grouped and then cropped to get a straight line on the bottom and side edges, not the top though as this is the shape of the top edge of the card.

The card was then printed and scored at the fold line. Holding the card closed, cut from side to side, around the Chair and top of the items on the table. This will give you your shaped card.

 
Score the back piece, which is now cut to the same shape as the front, in a straight line 1 to 2 inches down from the top edge of it. Fold this, then glue the top section to the back of the top of the front section to create your card hinge. You can now decoupage, glitter or embellish.


Thanks Linda! It seems so simple but looks so different! I love the tip on the candle glow! I learn something new about Craft Artist all the time ... 5 years down the line!!!
What kind of table top will you create? I hope you have fun crafting this project!

Thanks for stopping by and tomorrow will be the last of Linda's fab tutorials (for now!) Until then,
as ever,
Happy Crafting!
Love
MJM x

4 comments: